[meteorite-list] Fireball

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 09:36:49 EDT 2010

<<The fireball appeared in the
vicinity of Iota Aquarius, and went south to about two degrees of
Fomalhaut.  <<

I wonder if this was one of the Aquarids  (perhaps S. Iota Aquairid maybe?)
or perhaps an alpha Capricornid? Those are all  active right now. The S.
Iota Aquarids peak on Aug 4th. About how fast did it  seem to be traveling?
You said it traveled a short distance, are we talking  about 5 degrees or
less? About how many seconds or fractions of one did the  meteor last? At the
moment my money is on a S. Iota Aquarid member or an alpha  Capricornid.
Although the alpha Caps are relatively slow, they often are bright  and break up
a lot, I don't see very many with persistent trains though. Being a
fireball could make an exception.
GeoZay