[meteorite-list] Zodiacal Glow, Anarctic micro-meteorites, Comets

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 16 14:50:40 EDT 2010

Zodiacal light is visible before sunrise and after sunset at any time of the
year. It is more prominent in the west (after sunset) in spring and summer,
and more prominent in the east (before sunrise) in autumn and winter. How
apparent it is changes with the angle of the ecliptic with respect to the
horizon.

Gegenschein is seen at the anti-solar point. It is most visible within a few
hours of midnight, and doesn't have a preferred time of year for viewing,
except that it will be swamped by the Milky Way, so you don't want that
overhead near midnight.

Both gegenschein and zodiacal light are the result of fine dust in the plane
of the ecliptic. Gegenschein is back-scattered light, and zodiacal light is
side-scattered.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory