[meteorite-list] Orange Dust eye witness

W&S Schroer schroer at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 24 09:46:38 EDT 2009

Hi Rob, list,
I think the video you've seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tmYmeHf84
was filmed precisely one year before the latest dust storm hit Broken Hill
two days ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrlD22HwPvI

Since I live in Broken Hill I can confirm that the video is no fake. I've
been through quite a few dust storms in my life but this one was by far the
worst. It was so bad that the house seemed to be filled with red fog. One
could not only see but feel, smell and taste the dust and even now, two days
later, I can still feel it between my fingers while I 'hammer' away on my
key board.

When the storm finally settled down after about 12 hours, the fine, red dust
covered everything in my house, and when I say everything I really mean it.
Not only all floors but also the walls are now decorated with a fine layer
of dust. It's in the wardrobes, in the cupboards, in our clothing, in all
electrical appliances, and to my dismay it covers my meteorite collection
too which I keep in a - as I thought - dust-proof display cabinet.

The good news is that we had a beautiful sunny day today and we got a lot of
cleaning done.
The bad news is that another storm is on its way and will hit Broken Hill on
Friday.

Cheers
Werner & Sandra Schroer