[meteorite-list] Let's talk about meteorites

Carl 's carloselguapo1 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:42:31 EDT 2009

OK, I think I see the subtle difference. I have had to re-read Dr. Rubin's post several times to get the picture (Thanks to MikeG, too). Simplified, an asteroid slams into another planetary body right to the iron core and  forms mesosiderites. That part I knew, but when smaller iron asteroids slams onto larger rocky asteroids the surface layer  forms the silicated irons. I would have thought that would also form mesosiderites, too. Hmmm. Very interesting.

Thank you, Dr. Rubin.

Carl