[meteorite-list] The Skipper's Dad Co-Discovers a Comet!

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 17:19:23 EDT 2009

>>While we're on the off topic of old  movies, did anyone realize that Alan
Hale,  the Skipper's  (Alan  Hale Jr.), dad, was the co-discoverer of the
most widely observed comet of  the 20th Century?<<
I didn't know there was a connection. Back around  1992, 3 or 4, I observed
the Quadrantid meteor shower with Alan Hale in  Descanso, CA.. There were
three of us...Bob Lunsford, Alan Hale and myself. Of  course this was all
before he co discovered comet Hale/Bopp. He got bored with  the meteor
observing and broke out one of his scopes and started looking at the  stars and
whatever he could find. The Quadrantids was a good show that year.  Later when
he co-discovered the comet, I thought it would get me an autographed  photo
of the comet (I took the photo)...but it didn't. :O)
George Zay

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)