[meteorite-list] Galileo Block Party in Hilo

Gary Fujihara fujmon at mac.com
Mon Oct 26 09:52:10 EDT 2009

Aloha Metlist members,

I'd like to share some information about a great outreach event that
took place over the weekend.  As a feature of the International Year
of Astronomy, the Galileo Block Party was held on astronomy row in the
University Park of Science and Technology on the campus of the
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo (UHH) on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi.
Most of the observatories on Mauna Kea, UHH Physics and Astronomy
Dept, and amateur astronomy groups participated by engaging in
interactive outreach with thousands of visitors during the five hour
event.

Dr Bobby Bus, NASA Infrared Telescope Facility and I represented the
University of Hawaiʻi Institute for Astronomy with a meteorite
exhibit.  Bobbyʻs research in spectroscopic properties of asteroid
families and their population distribution complemented my exhibit of
complete individual and full slice specimens of over three dozen fall
and find locations wonderfully.  It was fun to see the many familiar
faces of students, teachers, parents, community leaders, colleagues
and members of the astronomy community during the event.  In addition,
it was fulfilling to be able to share with my community, my passion
for these rocks from space, and what they provide to the body of
knowledge in science (not to mention the wonderful stories many of
these stones had to tell).

Meteorites are great to find, collect, cherish and admire.  But what a
lonely existence should they only languish in an unseen private
collection.  I urge members to share your collections with your
respective communities.  Its as much fun as finding your own fresh,
fully crusted chondrite.  Okay I lied, not that much fun, but very
fulfilling and who knows?  Maybe an opportunity to inspire others to
pursue this hobby/obsession/business.

http://astroday.net/images/_GalileoBlockParty2.jpg
http://www.naoj.org/IYA/Blockparty/

Gary Fujihara