[meteorite-list] Cleaning meteorites

Eric Christensen christenjames at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 17:13:12 EST 2009

Hi all,

I recently had the good fortune to find a few new meteorites, and would like to clean them.  Nothing drastic: just enough to remove the dirt, dust and salt deposits so my hands don't end up filthy every time I pick one up.  Do I need to take any special precautions?  Does cleaning affect the value (as with antique furniture)?  I was thinking to gently scrub them using a toothbrush and water, then slow-drying in a warm oven.  Does this sound about right?

The meteorites all appear to be chondrites, weathered to various degrees.  Most are pretty solid but a few have some cracks.

Thanks,

Eric