[meteorite-list] Biophysicist confirms Liberal boy's meteorite discovery

Fries, Marc D (3225) marc.d.fries at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 19 14:47:57 EST 2009

That hole has definitely been dug up.  But it also doesn¹t appear to be a
foot deep.  Perhaps in a 10 year old¹s imagination it is.

I just ran the numbers, and if we assume a spherical body (which I have to
do) moving at its aerodynamically-limited speed then a 48 g iron meteorite
would be moving around 70 m/s (~150 mph) when it reached the ground.  I can
picture it digging itself in a bit on impact.

Like Mike, I¹m not going to proclaim this one to be the genuine article but
I¹m also not ready to dismiss it completely.  I¹m curious to see how it pans
out.  Would be nice to get some composition data to compare it with SA or
other meteorites.

Cheers,
MDF