[meteorite-list] Looking for help with a classification

Anthony Love loveab at appstate.edu
Wed Nov 18 22:00:44 EST 2009

Hi All,
My name is Anthony Love. I work in the Department of Geology at
Appalachian State. I have a meteorite I am trying to classify, but it is
giving me some challenges. I wanted to ask the list if there were some
scientists who would be willing to collaborate on this classification or
possibly answer some questions and look at some photos?  I have some of
the petrography done and a bit of the major element chemistry is
completed. Primarily at this point I have a data from olivines in the
differing clasts and within chondrules in the matirx.
The rock appears to be a breccia containing up to possibly 6 different
types of clasts with a clastic matrix containing chondrules.
   Some of my difficulties are:
-one of the clasts is enigmatic (at least to my experience).
-the Fa #s for all clasts, chondrules and matrix differ by less than one
percent from another. Are their granulitic breccias of chondritic
material? When searching literature I can only find granulitic lunar
breccias.
-One clast type appears to be a low petrologic grade chondrite, but due
to metamorphic homogenization, I am unable to
tease out whether it is a type 3 or 4. We have a new CL microscope on
the way, but I was wondering if there were other chemical methods I
might look towards in the mean time.  Most of my capability with
elemental analysis will come from major element data derived by EDAX.

Please feel free to reply to me via email. I can send photos and data to
interested parties. Thanks so much in advance for any help.
      respectfully,
            Anthony Love
            loveab at appstate.edu