[meteorite-list] Richard Norton

Walter Branch waltbranch at bellsouth.net
Wed May 27 22:29:30 EDT 2009

Like everyone else, I am saddened to hear of the passing of Richard Norton.
The first meteorite book I read was Rocks from Space.  The book was part
science and part adventure.  I remember reading it and thinking, "Wow, this
guy really likes meteorites!"

As some list members know, I nearly died two years ago in a horrible
automobile accident.  As I lay in a hospital bed for over three months, my
wife would keep me up-to-date on what was going on the meteorite list.  The
meteorite community, in comparison with many other disciplines and hobbies,
is like a small town and everyone "knows" everyone else.  When someone of
Richard's stature passes away, it affects us all.

I am at this moment looking at a plaque that was sent to me by Maria Haas
while I was recovering from my injuries.  On it is written, "Get Well Soon,
Walter,  From Your Meteorite Friends" and below are the names of literally
scores of individuals.  Third column, fourteenth name down is "O. Richard
and Dorothy Norton."

With tears in my eyes, Richard I hope you knew in some small way just how
much yours and Dorothy's and everyone else's name on that plaque meant (and
still means) to me in my recovery.  I will remember you not only for your
ability to share your knowledge and enthusiasm through your books but also
for the intangible but indelible way you helped me through the most
difficult time in my life.

Since the accident, my memory isn't as good as it used to be.  I don't
remember reading a message about this on the list.  Please someone tell me
that somewhere between Mars and Jupiter there is a piece of rock with the
name "Norton" attached to it.

Richard, you will be missed.

Dorothy, my sincerest condolences.  May God be with you and the Norton
family.

With heartfelt thankfulness

-Walter Branch