[meteorite-list] Zacatecas 1792

Michael Fowler mqfowler at mac.com
Mon May 18 12:34:44 EDT 2009

Hi Bernd,

There are only 2 people whose posts I read every time, no matter what
the subject.  You are one and Sterling Webb is the other.

Thanks for forwarding the picture from Buchwald.  Perhaps you are
being diplomatic in letting us form our own opinion as to whether the
sample on ebay is similar to the photo in Buchwald?

However, what do you think of the written description that I excerpted
in my original post?   " polycrystalline..... (with) no well defined
widmanstatten pattern."
I've looked at a couple of photo's of Santa Rosa, to which Buchwald
compares Zacatecas (1792)  and there is no comparison to the slice on
ebay.

Perhaps we can find photos from major institutions to compare to,
where there will be no doubt as to the provenance.  After all if most
collectors bought from the same source and that source is incorrect,
then pictures in collector hands will all be similarly in error.

Thanks,

Mike Fowler