[meteorite-list] Tunguska Questions

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat May 16 09:30:33 EDT 2009

>>I agree... If the Tunguska event was  caused by a comet and not a
meteoroid or asteroid there truly may not be any  material left from the
blast. However, if I remember correctly, the cometary  theory is based
not just on the fact no meteorites were found near the  epicenter, but
somewhat on the presence of high levels of carbon in the  samples taken
from peat and tree bark drill core samples near the epicenter.  A
carbonaceous meteoroid/asteroid could have left those same levels of
carbon.<<

I personally think that Tunguska was an asteroid. For no  better reason
that to me it represents a little larger object than what hits our  atmosphere
a few times each year. Why not a similar object somewhat bigger with
similar characteristics on occasions? Tunguska was a big wallop and so were two
others in the 1930's over the Amazon basin, though somewhat smaller than
Tunguska, but it still knocked over trees for a few miles with no meteorite
fragments that I know of. A couple small asteroids per year do themselves in
without leaving ground fragments seems natural, why not a somewhat bigger
asteroid once every 50 or 100 years doing the same thing?
GeoZay

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377005x1201454319/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May
Excfooter51609NO62)