[meteorite-list] Another fracking fireball! (Canada)

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 11:50:57 EDT 2009

>>Just saw that... What's the deal  with all the fireballs?<<

Reporting to last about 10 seconds  signifies a meteor for sure to me. Since
no reports of Sonic Booms yet, also  sounds like a garden variety earthgrazer
that was fun to watch. No report of  approximate velocity, but since it
appeared during the morning hours and also  getting the impression it appeared to
travel fast...a good indication that it  wasn't of asteroidal origin and thus
cometary debris. Material that's not likely  to produce surviving meteorites.
During my years of recording meteor data, It  was a rare night to not see at
least one fireball. Still don't get the sense  that there is anything out of the
ordinary going on. I've read somewhere  (Perhaps Norton's "Rocks From Space"),
it's estimated that there will be about  24,000 meteorite dropping
fireballs/year worldwide in the 4 oz to 20 lb range.  So I'm not surprised that several
areas around the globe report bright meteors  lately. What I'm more surprised
about is that there aren't more reports.  :O)
GeoZay