[meteorite-list] Dam Hammer

Jeff Grossman jgrossman at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 18 15:04:14 EDT 2009

I'm going to further stir this up.  In addition to my last comment, that
"hammer" should only refer to the offending stone that did damage, I
think there has to be a certain fame or notoriety associated with the
impact for it to be noteworthy enough for a special name like this.
Certainly, the larger Sylacauga stone is worthy of the term. Peekskill,
for the image of the mashed car that appeared everywhere.  Benld is a
great one, for those of you who remember the FMNH exhibit. If one of the
Nakhla stones really got a dog or Valera got a cow, which everybody has
heard about, then sure, these are hammers.  But a piddly piece of some
shower that dings a shingle on a roof?  No way.  It's still a subjective
term, but let's give it some force.

jeff