[meteorite-list] Carancas Bull

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 15:26:56 EDT 2009

>>Does anyone know whether shock  waves crated by an object the size of
Carancas could have been  sufficient to have killed a nearby bull?<<

I don't have a clue as  to how big the Carancas object would have been, but
factoring in the objects  velocity upon impact, I'd guess there would have been
a big whallop. I can't  help comparing the effects of the rock slide in
Yosemite National Park ten or so  years ago. In that incident, the rock that
suddenly sloughed off the cliff a  thousand or two feet up caused one heck of a
concussion. No doubt there was a  lot, lot more material to come off that cliff
than what the Carancas impactor  was. But when the Yosemite rocks hit the
ground, the concussion itself blew over  many large trees...some 3 or 4 feet in
diameter. I don't know the exact figures,  but I feel comfortable in thinking that
the Carancas shock waves could have been  sufficient to kill a bull if it was
of close proximity.
GeoZay