[meteorite-list] Unidentified object from sky destroys car in Cottonwood

Fries, Marc D marc.d.fries at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 12 15:06:26 EDT 2009

Whatever hit it looks (to me) like it fragmented completely when it hit the
windshield.  The dashboard doesn¹t have one deep gouge in it like a solid
object would inflict; it has a shotgun-spray of spallation damage.  Whatever
hit the thing wound up as tiny pieces scattered around inside the car.  Ice
falling from an airplane, perhaps?  I still think the ³debris² they show is
part of the dashboard.

Oh, and the windshield wasn¹t ³melted² like that genius journo declared.
Windshields have two panes of safety glass glued together with a plastic
sheet in between. That keeps glass fragments from flying around because they
stick to the plastic, just like the photo shows.   The ³melted glass² is
that plastic sheet stretched all out of shape by getting walloped.  All the
journo had to do was touch the thing to figure that out.

Now I¹m really going to quit getting wrapped up in this stuff and get back
to work..

Cheers,
MDF