[meteorite-list] Holbrook Photos

Eric Wichman eric at meteoritewatch.com
Wed Mar 4 17:49:50 EST 2009

Very nice indeed! Great job Erik!

I was thinking that since Holbrook was a relatively fresh meteorite
(compared to say Franconia or GB and most NWA I've seen), it's amazing
to see how much or little the fusion crust on some pieces weather away.
Holbrook falling in 1912 and being on the ground not quite 100 years is
a blink of an eye in geological time. The crust in in good shape and
there's some patina and oxidation.

I can imagine whatever is not destroyed of the West TX fall will look
worse than Holbrook in 100 years due to the weather in Texas. Keep in
mind that lots of land out there is not farmland but ranches and they
don't get plowed or irrigated like cropland. Stones that are on the
ranches, -as long as they stay ranches- should be relatively preserved
right? Rainfall/Snowfall must also be considered but The only data I
found said about 8 inches annually for the area.

Not that we'll be around to see it but, what do you think West will look
like in 100 Years?

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA