[meteorite-list] Well okay then

Fries, Marc D marc.d.fries at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 4 11:59:16 EST 2009

Howdy all

    I¹ve received a few ...em... ³spirited² responses to my last email that
tell me that it didn¹t exactly read the way I intended.  I wasn¹t trying to
be a hero because I bought a plane ticket, I was trying to say that
traveling on ³your own dime² isn¹t what scientists are used to doing.
Someone had made the comment that there were no scientists to be seen at
West, and I agree that is ridiculous.  Scientists travel to Antarctica every
year to collect meteorites, but no one could be bothered to fly to Austin!?
How many people who spend their lives studying meteorites just passed up a
chance to see an actual, fresh strewn field??  (not to mention the kolaches)
Funny thing is, I was actually agreeing with some of the nasty-grams I¹ve
received.
    Sounds like I touched a nerve.  Can I suggest that y¹all spare me the
wrath, and direct it instead at the scientists who weren¹t actually there?

Cheers,
MDF