[meteorite-list] Stinky Meteorite

Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Sat Jun 20 19:49:31 EDT 2009

Hi List,

Don't laugh! This is weird...

While slicing some unclassified chondrite meteorites I noticed one
meteorite that was particularly odoriferous. I don't really want to say
"what" this piece smells like as I don't know if it's appropriate list
content. Let's just say that dogs lift their leg to fire hydrants, and
maybe, sometime in the past, this stone just happened to be in the wrong
place at the wrong time.

The smell was super intense while cutting. At first I didn't know where
it was coming from, then when I finished the cut, I actually smelled the
stone to see if that's where the odor was originating. Sure enough! Yuck!

I've cleaned the stone throughly. No amount of cleaning will remove the
smell. It's definitely coming from within the meteorite itself.

Has anyone else had any of their NWA stone meteorites that smell really
bad?

--
Regards,
Eric Wichman