[meteorite-list] A question????? -an answer!!!

Mexicodoug mexicodoug at aim.com
Fri Jun 5 01:52:30 EDT 2009

Pete wrote:

"can a meteorite hit earth and eject debris which (maybe) land on the
moon or Mars? What would we call such a meteorite---Earthoid, or maybe
Earthite?"

Hi Pete,

Generally the splashed and splattered material from a meteoroid impact
on earth are called "Tektites", or if it was from the biggest impact
they are called the "Moon". Tektites are thought to be formed from the
largest collisions and are so far from escaping the gravitational
domination of the earth, that, if Earth were a grapefruit size, most of
the tektites the list is familiar with have the escape velocity of an
acrobatic ant jumping at most a few millimeters high.

Technically, the Moon is the only known Earthoid.

Most of us are skeptical about a reverse path plausibility to not only
survive the initially viscous path out of the atmosphere, but then also
beyond the reach of Earth's primary gravitational dominance. once you
look at the seemingly impossible physics (few things in nature are
outright impossible, but even Clinton would have a harder time arguing
most of them than against, say, good DNA testing results).

The Moon is a good clue to the answer to your question. It has 27% of
the Earth's diameter (though under 2% of the mass). That was a big
impact, supposedly from a Mars sized planetoid! Yet, all the material
is assumed to have stayed on Earth or within its grasp (forming the
Moon).

Wh
at I'm getting at is the answer to your question is no one knows, and
it is well covered in the archives since this question comes up at
least once a year. That is why tried to give a different slant on the
answer this time so the old timers aren't bored out of their mind.

Let me leave you with this fine research question:
So, how much material, if any, could have been ejected from the
collision that created the Earth-Moon system as a result? That would be
an olympic jumping spider!

Best wishes,
Doug