[meteorite-list] Koenigsbrueck, Saxonia is a hot desert find

Martin Altmann altmann at meteorite-martin.de
Tue Jul 28 10:16:10 EDT 2009

Hello list,

because I couldn't find it mentioned yet on the list here.

In the last German meteorite, a "find" made in 2004 in Saxonia by a
moldavites hunter,
typical weathering feautures of hot desert meteorites were found.
So it was a fake.

Hopefully Königsbrück will be soon removed from the Meteorite Bulletin
Database?

Unfortunately I still find there another skeleton in the cupboard of German
meteorites listed as an official meteorite.

Inningen, Bavaria, 1998.

The Ni-content and the trace element data are consistent with Sikhote-Alin
and the piece is a typical shrapnel.
(That's why no structural type had could been determined).

>From impact dynamics we all know, that shrapnels are produced only by
impacts of major iron masses.

Inningen was a single 1.2kg specimen, "found" on a road.

It's highest time after 10 years now, I'd say, to remove Inningen from the
Catalogue or at least to mark it as doubtful.

(That becomes more and more a fashion to fake finds. A while ago someone in
Germany claimed to have found a Gibeon in a quarry - and 2 weeks ago a
German tried me to sell a meteorite he had found here by his own - an
indochinite!)

Best!
Martin