[meteorite-list] Possible Impact Event on Jupiter?

Mark Abbott Mark at mor-designs.com
Tue Jul 21 17:39:31 EDT 2009

Has anyone heard an estimate for the size of the impactor yet.

If I recall correctly, for an object reaching Earth's surface with
cosmic velocity, the rule of thumb is that the crater diameter is 50
times the impactors diameter. I am guessing that factor for Jupiter's
cloud layer is going to be much larger, being less dense.