[meteorite-list] Proper field data

Mark Bowling minador at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 19:52:55 EDT 2009

Hey all,
What info do you recommend collecting when a find is made in the field?

GPS coordinates (and datum used), in situ photos with a scale and weight are a given.  But what else?

I've also heard that one should not to apply a magnet to a new meteorite because a manget can affect the magnetic susceptibility (doesn't a metal detector affect it too?).

What about an historic location versus a new fall?

Everyone mentions collecting data, but are we all on the same page?

Clear skies,
Mark
Vail, AZ