[meteorite-list] PA Meteorite Search- personal update

John higgins geohiggins at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 20:04:33 EDT 2009

Hello Meteorite List Members,
Just dropping a line to give you all a update on my investigation,
Today I visited

Delta PA
Fawn Grove PA
New Park PA
Stewartstown PA
Right now I'm in Freeland MD

I have been out and about asking around for clues to the whereabouts of the famous PA fireball.
I would have to say that about 20% of the informants that I asked heard it or knows somebody who did, Have yet to meet an eye witness, and from the data I gathered, The informants are telling me that they believe its in the New Park area or at least that is the direction the explosive sound was coming from.

My suspicions lead me to believe that it's possibly in the Susquehanna Trails Area, However there is no hard evidence that leads me to this conclusion. Only the trajectory which i devised from reading the news reports and talking to people on the ground.

The terrain in this area is extremely rugged, hilly, and overly abundant in growing cornstalks, which would make a organized search next to impossible, even if the search area is narrowed down to a mile or two. And you guys could forget about using CCTV's from car dealerships or the like because there is nothing around for miles and miles. I believe that without definitive pictures showing the exact trajectory of the fall from several locations, finding this meteorite will be harder than finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. We are talking really rough very sparsely populated country!

Anyway I'm here and will continue the search tomorrow, If anybody wants to meet up, I truly believe that we can accomplish more as a meteorite recovery team. give me a call at 973-687-9888

Good Luck to all you Meteorite Hunters!
Have a Great Day!
John Higgins
IMCA#9822