[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting in one's own "backyard"?

Richard Kowalski damoclid at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 17:44:36 EDT 2009

Thanks Elton,

I never meant to disparage those who work tirelessly tracking down falls and find meteorites. I know a lot is involved in the venture and admire the work that they do. Especially when their work is scientifically rigorous and they properly record the data from the fall as is happening now with the fall near Tucson.

I was curious if searching through farm rock piles might be a viable search method for those would-be hunters that for all the reasons you cite can't chase falls. There aren't many farms here in southern Arizona, so I wasn't planning on doing this myself.

While I hope to be out in the field in the not too distant future, I'll admit I'm way too soft to do what most of you do. I prefer climbing into bed after a clear night at the telescope. Finding 1 to 10 new Near Earth Asteroids per night sounds a lot easier.

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski
Catalina Sky Survey