[meteorite-list] The Cheapening of Meteorites Continues....

George Blahun Jr ks1u at att.net
Thu Jan 22 10:19:01 EST 2009

Michael:
      Hello.  I do understand your concern over turning meteorites
into "trinkets" and "junk", but I think it's important to discriminate
between the historical uses of some of this meteoritic material and
the "dime store" variety.  While I don't understand gold plating
etched slices, I do find some current uses of "some" material
appealing.  Knives and coins and some jewelry are appealing to me,
although I'm sure not to everyone.  There are also areas that are
bound to be controversial.  Yesterday I was at the Boston Museum of
Science and saw a piece of lunar highland rock encased in a lucite
sphere, given to the Museum by NASA.  I would have preferred this not
be encased, but I'm sure NASA put some thought into why this should be
so.  Anyhow, hopefully, as you have said, no one will be bidding on
the plated Gibeon.  However, if I knew the only piece of lunar rock
available (legally) to me was encased in Lucite, I'd probably try to
get it anyhow.

Clear skies

George