[meteorite-list] question for thin section collectors

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 18:59:39 EST 2009

Hi Leigh Anne,  I'm answering on list so  any one can correct me if I am not
accurate in my assessment.

First, a  standard biological microscope slide is 1" X 3" or 25 mm X 75 mm.
A  standard petrographic slide is 25 mm X 45 mm.  Quite a bit  shorter!

I have a large pile of petrographic slides (Meteorite thin  sections) that I
keep in those plastic cases Mike Tettenborn just posted  about.  I like the
cases but I have often looked for a cool slide box  fitted to the smaller
petrographic slides.

I have found many  biological slide boxes.

It would seem to me that the meteorite community  would enjoy a quality
petrographic slide box.

Also, and this is just a  personal observation, I would think that the
collectors with a quantity of  slides, worth hundreds and at times thousands each,
would appreciate a beautiful  work of art and not just an other box.  I have
found some vintage black  bake light boxes in the smaller size but that is about
as cool as I could come  up with after a lot of searching.

The great old wood Victorian Microscope  slide boxes are almost entirely the
larger size.  Post the list if he makes  any!!!

Tom

In a message dated 1/4/2009 4:30:53 P.M. Mountain  Standard Time,