[meteorite-list] What makes a hammer a hammer?

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 04:03:52 EST 2009

Robert and all Hammer Heads,

In retrospect, I didn't address  everything in your last email.

I just checked the website where that  information you mentioned was listed,
and I have no idea what that dealer's  source was the history of his pieces.
As he states there, he did not buy  his pieces directly from our auction, but
rather traded for them second  hand.

There is NO reason whatsoever to doubt that what Dr. King listed in  his own
private records is the truth.  And I am certain that the correct  information
was passed on from me to all the potential bidders during  the auction at that
time.

You should probably ask him directly what his  source was for that
information, but my hunch is that somewhere along the way,  the exact facts were lost in
translation when passed on to him.

Oh, and if anyone can go to Alabama and look at the Hodges's Stone,  bring a
magnet.  If the core was filled, and camouflaged well, a magnet  should detect
where a plaster or rubber filler might have been used.  There  is a slight
chance it wasn't filled with anything, and the hole is still  there.

In any case, I will go on record and strongly disagree with  the comments
made that the King specimen came from the Smithsonian's  sample.  If that had
been the case, Dr. King would have been listed the  Smithsonian as the source and
not the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which  was, and still is, the
repository of the Hodges's Stone.

I guess for everyone that bought their Sylacaga in the past thinking it
wasn't an actual hammer stone specimen: "Surprise, and  congratulations!"

For those of you that were thinking about buying some, but had not  yet, I am
sorry, as my guess is, the value of whatever is on the market has  just
"appreciated" in value in the last couple of hours.

Happy New Year!

Steve Arnold #1
Arkansas

In a  message dated 1/3/2009 10:11:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,