[meteorite-list] Slump glass meteorite protection/display

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 23:31:58 EST 2009

Hi list,  A couple weeks ago there was a  thread on encasing meteorites in
resin.  Also in this months Meteorite  Times there was a nicely written article
Preserving meteorite slices in  home-made glass mountings, by Gregory E Carr
 http://www.meteorite-times.com/meteorite_frame.htm

I was wondering if  anyone has tried slump glass.  This is the process where
a sandwich of  glass with a meteorite slice in the middle is heated to the
point of fusing the  outside glass sheets.   It would drive out all moisture
while  completely sealing in the sample.  Some material would melt at the same
temperature as the glass but irons and most stonies would not.   What  about
Olivine, would the melt point of Olivine be higher than the  glass?

Would this work?  I have seen some real cool stuff fused into  glass this
way.

Tom

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1218550342x1201216770/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe