[meteorite-list] IMCA and the Encyclopedia of Meteorites website

Bob WALKER qwalkra at mailbox.ezadsl.net.au
Tue Feb 3 21:28:51 EST 2009

Listoids

I'm curious when and if IMCA will make any public statement about their now
ownership of the Encyclopedia of Meteorites website

I'd like to know if it will remain a publically available resource and
whether our logons/passwords remain or whether it will revert to IMCA
members only or become a pay per view or commercial website to recover costs

Undoubtedly there are many of us who have found this resource extremely
useful and the search engine facility is awesome

Many of us have thanked Pierre in the past by allowing him to use images
from our websites - particularly if we have unique images that are otherwise
un-obtainable but this permission does not necessarily extend to IMCA

I for one may rethink this permission if the Encyclopedia of  Meteorites
website becomes commercially orientated or publicly limited and as above
would wish some public statement about the future aims and objectives

I think we always understood the immense time and effort that made it all
happen and also wonder if that energy will be renewed with a new focus and
upgrade particularly with the available images

Cheers