[meteorite-list] Recognizing E-chondrites

Matson, Robert D. ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Mon Dec 21 18:11:20 EST 2009

>From the exterior alone, I would have to agree that an E-chondrite is
almost indistinguishable from an O.C.  The one E-chondrite I found in
Nevada looked like a very fresh O.C. -- presumably an H-chondrite based
on the magnetic attraction. Even after cutting a type specimen for
analysis, I was convinced it was a very equilibrated H-chondrite. But
it turned out to be a weathered (W4) EL6 (Roach Dry Lake 030).

So the only anecdotal observational difference that I noted was that
the fusion crust was blacker than that of an ordinary chondrite.

-Rob