[meteorite-list] Libyan (looks like a) crater

Randy Korotev korotev at wustl.edu
Wed Dec 9 10:21:03 EST 2009

Dear List:

I received this intriguing e-mail today from someone I don't know.

=========================

Dear Randy, I am a geophysicist and had a recent
trip on Libyan desert for campaign of geophysical
investigations, mostly GPR and Geoelectric
tomography. Going back to the camp I found at
sunset –due to low angle light- something strange on the flat desert surface.

I found a perfect circular crater with melt sand
scattered around . sand grains are melt and
embedding larger quartz grains. In my opinion
that’s a impact crater and sand is melt because
of the heat wave. Larger grains had no time to melt .

That melt rock has a black matrix-nothing like
that in the area, also there are no similar
structures in that flat, flat flat  desrt
surface, sand is only silica and quartz grain and
no dark matrix can be seen for kilometers.

I made a few geophysics on the spot and found big
electric anomalies and very anomalous readings of Geoelectric values.

I took a few samples of melt rock –very heavy really.

I am posting a few photos of the crater.

I have another stone found at 2500 m on the bed
of a melt glacier, same story, that’s not a stone
of the area, it is like a fuse, heavy and black
inside with a very aerodynamic shape, I will mail
you a photo ( after reading once more your
recommendations) if interested . for sure not a
human artifact or an original stone of the area.

Sorry to disturb,
=========================
I put the photos here:

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/libyan_crater.htm

The round thing in the desert looks something
like a crater.  Maybe it's a bomb crater.  Maybe
it's a meteorite impact crater.  The rock doesn't
look like samples of Libyan desert glass that
I've seen.  I don't know the LDG story well.  Has
there ever been a crater associated with the glass?

Randy Korotev
Saint Louis, MO
korotev at wustl.edu