[meteorite-list] TC3 show and an observation

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 15:05:22 EST 2009

Hi List,  I watched the National  Geographic's "Naked Science: Countdown to
Impact" which is the story of  asteroid/meteorite TC3.

What caught my attention was the diversity of  material within the samples
collected.   After a few years of  weathering, would all those stones even
be thought to of come from the same  fall?   It got me wondering about the
diversity in other meteorite  material.

Have others working with meteorites noticed large diversity in  material
type within a group of named samples.  I'm not talking about a  single stone
(perhaps even brecciated) but rather a fall with a large number of  recovered
individuals.

I am not an expert but I have cut, polished  and examined mare than an
average amount of meteorites and in those named  materials where I have cut into
more than 50 stones, most have such a large  diversity I could send in a
type sample that would support any thing from a type  3 to a 6.

Some primary examples are SaU 001, JaH 055, JaH 073 and  the provisional
NWA 5142.

These examples are only those where I have cut  a large amount.  There must
be other more dramatic examples others have  noticed.

Aside from that question I had,  it was a great informative  and
entertaining show.  Well done!

for info on the show  see:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/naked-science/4652/Overview

Tom  Phillips