[meteorite-list] How much survives entry?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 3 22:39:40 EST 2009

I think that you can usually figure that 95-99% of the mass of parent
meteoroid is lost. That seems pretty consistent with the estimated mass of
observed fireballs compared with the mass of recovered meteorites.

Obviously, what is typical is pretty loosely defined; I don't doubt that
there are exceptions to the rule.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory