[meteorite-list] When is a fall...?

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 20:38:09 EDT 2009

Of course: all Finds did fall at one time.  As all Falls were found at  one
time.

I would think being able to assign a specific date and even a time of day
with some certainty to a meteorite landing is what anchors it into the Fall
category.  All others recoveries that are found without the known  fall
time end up in the Find category.

I know, some older Falls have  vague dates, sometimes only given the month
they fell, but nonetheless an event  (seen, heard, felt recorded with
instruments) historically establishes a  specific time which the specimen(s) added
to the mass of our planet.

There is some science that would be tied to how long a specimen has been
on Earth, but for the most part, the collecting community is interested in
the  falling date for the historic aspect rather than for the possible
scientific aspects.

On such-a-such a date, this happened and a  result this certain meteorite
landed on Earth; a Meteorite Fall.

Some meteorites are on the edge, such as Cat Mountain. No reports of a
fireball were seen, nor sonic booms heard, but a very fresh meteorite ended up
on a walking path, supposedly that wasn't there the day before.  A  fall?
Definitely not a Witness Fall.  It ends up in the Find  category.

Waconda, Kansas is so fresh, and probably was a witness fall immediately
recovered. But without any documented witnesses, it too ends up as a  "Find."
  Lafayette, is another one on the fence.  Found on the  shelf at Purdue
University, no date of the fall, where it was found, or who  recovered it
exists.  But there was a story that a man saw it land while  fishing (as I
recall.)  It is killer fresh, and few doubt that someone  saw in land on a
certain day, but not being able to document more details,  it is forever assigned
as a Find.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

In a message dated 4/27/2009  5:24:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,