[meteorite-list] Name of Texas Fall: Ash Creek

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Thu Apr 16 13:04:12 EDT 2009

Chris,

If I write a scientific paper, I  will call it Ash Creek.  For commercial
purposes, if it isn't illegal, I  will keep calling it West.

After all, that is the purpose of  having synonyms is so that you can call
things by other names,  right?

There will be no confusion to me. I don't think anyone else in the
community will be confused.  Anyone that says "Ash Creek" we will know  what they
are saying.  Anyone that uses the "West" name, we will know  what they are
saying as well.  Just like if they say it is from the "United  States" or they
say it is from "America."

I agree with Mark that some  meteorites that have already been sold with
the name "West" might get "lost" in  the TKW tallies.  Some collections
(public and private) will have "West" on  their labels instead of "Ash Creek."
But 75 years from now, it will be  just as easy to sort out as "Toluca" on a
Glen Huss label is from "Xiquipilco"  on a Nininger label... they are the
same rock.

The only confusion will  probably be in the collector market, and I don't
think the NomCom cares all that  much about the collector market, or that the
name "West" has been used in all  the media references up until now.  Just
Google Search "West  Meteorite" then search "Ash Creek Meteorite."  If they
did care, the  official name would have been assigned within a few days and
this minor  confusion would have easily been avoided.  Their priority is for
the  scientific side of things, not the pop culture side of things.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

In a  message dated 4/16/2009 11:33:08 A.M. Central Daylight Time,