[meteorite-list] US States & Fed Govt Laws regarding prospecting, hiking, ...

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sun Apr 5 11:00:12 EDT 2009

>>And besides, how many meteorite  hunters would come crawling out of the
woodworks and crowd the desert looking  for irons around the crater?  I
seriously doubt people are knocking down  the doors to get out into the
desert and walk around for hours under the  pummeling sun looking for
pieces for rust.  There are only so many of us  crazy enough to find
that idea enticing. <<

Over time, you never  know how many folks will become instant or weekend
Meteorite hunting experts. If  dealers/sellers have no qualms about dicing and
slicing meteorites into tiny  jiblets just so they can be sold, what is there to
stop them from getting  aggressive out around and inside the crater if they
were allowed to hunt?   The general public now sees meteorites as something with
value. That impression  has been planted by dealers and collectors over the
years no doubt. So they will  most likely hunt the known meteorite mother lode
areas and one of the best well  known areas would be Meteor Crater.

>> I'd doubt we'd see  another situation like the one
in our biggest national parks where people are  lined up 20 deep by the
hundreds every day to watch a geyser  erupt.<<

True...but you are standing on a wooden platform and no  one is allowed to
chip off pieces of the geyser.
GeoZay