[meteorite-list] Lunar Micrographs posted on September Meteorite Times

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 00:34:07 EDT 2008

Hi list,  This month in Meteorite Times, my  monthly column I do, called
Micro Visions, is on NWA 2977.  It is a Lunar  provided by Jim Strope (Catch a
Falling Star).  I guess it is Jim's way of  "supporting the arts".  He has always
made his very expensive planetary  thin sections available to me to image.
(This is no small thing when you  think about the delicate nature of thin
sections.)

Any way,  This  set of images turned out beautiful.  I show them in full
color cross  polarized light.  Keep in mind, this is what I see through the scope.
  It is not color altered!  I wish you could look through the eyepieces and
see it first hand.

As well as transmitted Xpol, I have some high  magnification incident light
shots.  This particular Lunar had an iron  fleck with, what appears to be, a
mineral migration pattern.  I posted the  list about the possibility about three
weeks ago but this is the first posting  of images.  From what I gather, this
effect is caused by processes similar  to Widmanstatten Pattern but on a MUCH
smaller scale.

It would be cool if  you would take a look and let me know what you think.
Please keep in mind  I am only asking and not trying to pass my opinions off as
 fact.

Thanks,  Tom Phillips    http://www.meteorite-times.com/meteorite_frame.htm