[meteorite-list] Nothing political! Just a cool Brachinite micrograph (NWA 3151)

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Oct 29 12:27:11 EDT 2008

Hi list,

Greg Hupe has sent me a  beautiful NWA 3151 Brachinite Thin Section to
examine and image.

I  have a beautiful shot taken at a magnification of 400X at 8mp.  I will
send  it as an attachment if your Internet provider will carry what works out to
about  9mb file size.  Email me if you want it sent and let me know if you
would  prefer it embedded.  Embedding reduces the file size to very small and
really takes away form the details of the image.

A Brachinite is a great  material for me to bring this up.  The unique
structural properties of a  Brachinite are best seen at a much lower magnification.

I have  been told that, for classification purposes, my images should be
taken with out  a retardation plate, at a much lower magnification and expressed
in filed of  view size and not magnification level.  I know this, but it is my
view that  classification can not be done by a few photos and (This is the
main point)  classification has already been done,  the colors are more beautiful
with a  retardation plate,  this high magnification level (relative to
traditional  Xpol work) provides a unique view into the structures within meteorites
and  finally,  more people (including those uninitiated to microscope work)
relate to magnification expressed in a level rather than the micron size of
the  field of view.

I am chasing beauty.  Some have even called it  art.  I do not attempt to
classify.  I have occasionally produced  traditional shots for certain people to
use in their work but that is not what I  am excited to share.

So if you want to have a beautiful (full resolution)  image of Greg's NWA
3151 Brachinite sent to you, just ask.

Tom Phillips

5 Travel Deals!
(http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)