[meteorite-list] Observed lunar meteorite impacts hit 100

Mark Crawford mark at meteorites.cc
Thu May 22 07:38:14 EDT 2008

I don't, personally, see it as a hard distinction. The labels are more
for convenience - comets tend to be 'wetter and oilier', and more
often are in eccentric orbits. Asteroids tend not to exhibit coma/tail
because in a more stable orbits, they would either have lost most of
their volatiles long ago (close in), or not be significantly shedding
them (farther out).

They may be manifestations of the same thing, but the labels are still
useful (cf water/ice/steam).

Mark