[meteorite-list] true "meteorite" stories

Larry & Twink Monrad larrytwinkmonrad at comcast.net
Tue May 20 18:50:43 EDT 2008

Funny Michael should write, this just happened this morning. I
received a call from a neighbor, who actually lives close to Jim
Kriegh's former house.  He said that a son of a friend of his brought
to his house last night a meteorite.  The son had said he heard the
soft ball sized  meteorite land in the dirt in his back yard in the
south part of Tucson and it made a two inch crater.  Ron had a photo
on his cell phone to show me and came to my house.  Ron said his
friend took this meteorite to the U of A and was told that it
appeared to be lunar and that the friend should take it to Phoenix
and leave it and in six weeks he would be told if it were
lunar.  Already this sounded weird.  He did not want to let the lunar
out of his sight so Ron  showed me this photo.  It was black and
shiny and had lots of angular and flat edges between the
bubbles.  I  had Ron look over my meteorite collection, let him hold
a few, showed him different types and then took him out in my front
yard and showed him my collection of slag.  He right away said yes
that is what his friend had. How the U of A story evolved remains a
mystery.  I of course sent him  home with a sliced Gold Basin with
the Sky and Telescope article and photo of Jim Kriegh in the field from 1998.

Jim and I also had another true experience.  A person came over to
Jim's a few years ago and showed us his meteorite.  It was a dark
rock with possibly Arizona red jasper showing through.  Jim gently
gave him the sad news and I could not resist asking why he thought it
was a meteorite.  He said he had seen the Peekskill meteorite on the
internet, and it had red streaks too...

Twink Monrad