[meteorite-list] New or maybe old QUESTION??????

Greg Hupe gmhupe at htn.net
Sun May 4 12:07:22 EDT 2008

Hi Tom,

You asked, "What did you think when the first  blue meteorite (NWA 2828) was
cut?" I thought, "What the heck is this stuff?!"

I had first purchased a very small amount of this material, cut it, and
thought it was the strangest "meteorite" I had seen to date, if it was a
meteorite at all. I then sent the type sample to the University of
Washington for analysis, and if a meteorite, classification. The original 20
gram sample did not have any of the chondrules so it was classified as an
aubrite. During the next 6-12 months of going to Morocco (maybe 5 or 6
trips), I kept my eye out for more of this material. I thought I had a coup
on this new "aubrite" so I traveled to Morocco more often during that time
and bought up as much as I could find.

It wasn't until I started to cut and polish this material to start to offer
it to collectors that the first chondrules started to present themselves.
They were not the typical chondrules like in OC's so I sent additional type
samples with these "features" to the scientists (eventually more samples and
80 grams later). Lab results..., "Chondrules!" "DAMN", was the next thought.
Thank goodness I had not offered any of this material publicly as I would
have had a real problem on my hands. :-/ So many months had passed by that
the first abstract stating the "aubrite" classification had made itself to
the Internet and it was from this information that another overseas dealer
who had some of this material had it up on his web site (without sending in
a type sample) and started selling it as NWA 2828. I thought "How
embarrassing for this person who did not want to send in his own sample and
get his own NWA number!" (this time it bit him in the butt!).

Eventually, and over time and with many people's help, the riddle of NWA
2828 (and its pairings 'Al Haggounia', and other NWA numbers) were revealed.
It is still a very interesting meteorite with a great story behind its
discovery and eventual classification. Now if we could just get Dr. Jambon
to acknowledge the hard work of his peers "Proving" once and for all, "Al
Haggounia" (the pairing to NWA 2828) is NOT AN AUBRITE!!!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection