[meteorite-list] Greensburg Kansas Anniversary

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Sat May 3 19:06:02 EDT 2008

Dave,

Thanks for the comments.

I  think what makes this extra tough is that there is no real "right" way to
rebuild.

Mike mentioned the money being spent in the war in Iraq, and how  it could
rebuild Greensburg in a few minutes.  His comment is true as a  political
statement.

However, some might argue that building a  town back to the way it was, even
IF our country had the money AND desire to do  so, would not be a smart thing.

Most of the challenges that Greensburg is  facing is due to people and
businesses taking many tens of millions of dollars  worth of insurance money, FEMA
funds and charity, and leaving Greensburg to  rebuild their lives and
businesses elsewhere.

Simply spending  government money to rebuild everyone's house and all the
businesses exactly like  they were before the tornado (including all the For Sale
signs that were in  people's yards that got blown away) probably is not the
best solution.  If  it was the best solution, that would have been the easy
thing to do, and it  probably would have been done.

Events happen in every city in the world,  every day, to give citizens reason
to consider making personal choices.   Greensburg just had a particular event
happen one year ago to everyone all at  the same time.

It is easy to want to have compassion on a city. But the  City of Greensburg
is not a person, it is a corporation.

Is  it really bad if someone takes their insurance money, then moves to
Kansas City  and lives "happily ever after?"   Well, the politically correct answer
 might be "No. It would be better for them to be required to stay in
Greensburg  rebuild and live miserably ever after."  At least that way it would LOOK
like Greensburg successfully rebuilt.

I have heard that a movie theater  company is going to build a 500 seat state
of the art movie theater in  Greensburg.  Now, that is a private donation to
the community.   Wonderful.  But had it been tax payer funds being spent, some
might argue  that a public library or a better school, or fire trucks or a
Museum to  House their 1,000 pound meteorite, would be a more wise place to
spend the same  funds.

So again, there is not a simple "correct" answer that can be  provided.  With
1,400 residents, there are probably 1,400 different  decisions, and
undoubtedly, there will be some good ones made and some bad ones  made along the way by
individuals.  The sum of these independent decisions  will help paint the
picture of what Greensburg will look like in the  future.

Steve #1

In a message dated 5/3/2008 5:05:48  P.M. Central Daylight Time,