[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - March 26, 2008 / S...

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Wed Mar 26 20:40:18 EDT 2008

Bernd and All,

One man in Park Forest that I purchased a meteorite  from was driving to his
house in Park Forest and was at the stop light at the  north central part of
Steger when he saw the fireball flash and  extinguish.

He went through the light and drove home.  He parked his  car in front of his
house on the street, and was walking up his driveway when he  heard a
whistling noise, one that sounded to him like a bullet flying by his  head.  Scared,
he dove to the ground thinking he was actually being shot  at.  At that
second, a meteorite hit his asphalt driveway a few feet away  from him.  He
continued to crawl to his house door and darted  inside.

The next day he heard about the meteorite fall and went out side  and found
the meteorite specimen in his front yard.

When I bought  the specimen, he told me the story.  Curiosity had me go to
that same stop  light later that night when traffic was very light, and I
retraced his path to  his house.  It took me, as I recall, a little over 4 minutes
to make the  route to his house and to walk up his driveway.  It is possible he
was  driving a bit faster than I was, or possibly a bit slower.

What I remember the most was that it was the delay of the rock hitting  the
ground almost made the actual fall date to be March 27 instead of being the
same day as the fireball date of March 26.  But the landing time, even  delayed,
still would have made it by a few minutes before  midnight.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

Home.