[meteorite-list] Meteorite market trends - a critical note

mexicodoug at aim.com mexicodoug at aim.com
Tue Mar 25 17:39:59 EDT 2008

Al M. wrote:

"It is their rarity that makes us take notice and ponder them."

Not for me Al.  We all have our personal reasons for collecting.  I
don't think Darren and Walter deserve any moral criticism.  Also, they
were not unrealistic, as if that had any bearing.  For example, would
you rather the desert meteorites have rusted away in the sands to
preserve the "market"?  Let me air some of my frustrations on this
topic.

Adaptable dealers can always do well by adding value in any situation.
That's the attitude that makes a healthy 'market' IMO, not ...  To
speculate with meteorites and then demand the meteorites make riskless
money for one's pleasure of holding them.  The latter seems far more
unrealistic to me.  That's having your cake and eating it too.  You
could always factor part of the pain of of 'market' downs if that
helps, to appreciate the meteorites more.

The Automobile market having to do with 'a meteorites market' is an
alien thing I can't follow.  And I don't appreciate the belittlement of
"earth rocks" (not just directed at Al) on the meteorite list.  That's
almost a dig on geologists who have contributed more than any other
profession towards the meaning of meteorites.  Earth rocks are part of
the miracle of the universe.  Meteorites win our hearts on their
merits.  A veiw of a faint fuzzy through the telescope is priceless.
That doesn't mean everyone looking at should feel better about paying
more to see it.  Meteorites, like good women and perfect quartz
crystals are rare.  Some guys pay through the nose to get them, yet
others are hopeful to find a way and if they do, they are happier.  The
sacrifice Al describes in exchange for acquisitions does not translate
equitably.  Not to mention across national boundaries and the
universally restless human spirit.  Bravo Darren and Walter.
Best wishes
Doug