[meteorite-list] Microscope cross polarized light meteorite examination and new retardation plate

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 12:55:57 EDT 2008

Hi list,  Not all of you have interest in  Microscopic examination of
meteorites to the point of wanting to talk about  retardation wave plates but this is
cool and interesting.

The Sony Play  Station 3 uses a Blue Ray disk reader.  These devices have a
laser diode  that emits light at 405nm (Violet) as well as one that operates at
660nm (Red)  combined with 780nm (Near IR).  This combination through one
reading lens  (objective) requires some cool optics.

In the combination of cube  polarizers there is a quarter wave plate that
produces violet, blue (and more)  hues like no other retardation plate I have
tried.  The plate is small  (5mm) but that is big enough to use on a microscope
if you apply a little  ingenuity.

If you are interested in what some of these micrographs look  like, email me.
 I plan to do a Meteorite Times, Micro Vision article on  this but that may
be a couple months out.

Right now I am working with a  beautiful thin section of NWA 2977 (Lunar)
where the material was supplied by  Jim Strope and the thins were arranged (To
his new standard of 1/4 micron DPU)  by Jeff Hodges.

You have got to see this.  I can draw  out complex structures that are
completely hidden in ordinary cross polarized  light.

Tom Phillips

Home.