[meteorite-list] Isotropic glass in NWA 2986 Shergottite

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 09:40:28 EDT 2008

Hi List,  Just a quick question and an  observation.

Jim Strope has provided me a thin section sample of NWA 2986  Shergottite to
image.  I have never seen such clear glass in a  meteorite.  There are
"Windows" where it is clear and completely isotropic  with no color change in cross
polarized light rotation.  I thought I was  looking at just more epoxy at first.

I used a wave plate the draw out  even the slightest difference between the
glass in the stage and the glass in  the meteorite and there are still spots
that are largely indistinguishable from  the glass slide.  (I look for slight
dirty spots and examine in incident  light to make sure of what I am looking at.)

When I read the  info on this meteorite, I figured I would see some melt but
this was  unexpected.  Is "window clear" glass a frequent occurrence in
Martian  samples?

Any one with interest in Shergottites should check this one  out!  Jim has a
nice write up on it at his  site.

http://www.catchafallingstar.com

Thanks,  Tom