[meteorite-list] Major fireball in Germany, Italy and Austria

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Sat Mar 8 12:31:32 EST 2008

Hello Matteo, Mike Farmer and List,

I don't think that pieces of this meteorite-dropping fireball came down
as far south as Zurich. Of special interest are those eyewitness reports
that did not only see light phenomena but also heard a thunderclap or
something like a rolling of thunder. Assuming these eyewitness reports
are reliable, there was a light rolling of thunder to be heard at Überlingen
(Lake Constance/Bodensee), but at Stockach (about 15 km to the west)
a very definite and loud thunder (said to have lasted ca. 10-25 seconds
according to that eyewitness) was perceived. Such reports about sound
phenomena reach as far north as Pfullingen/Tuttlingen.

My guess is that pieces may have come down west of a line Überlingen
- Stockach - Tuttlingen but east of Waldshut - Neustadt. Somewhere
within a triangle Schaffhausen - Bonndorf - Engen!

No, no time to go there because it is our 40th wedding anniversary
and we are on our way to a nice little restaurant downtown :-)

Ciao, Bernd