[meteorite-list] Fwd: How many meteorite dealers are there?

M42protosun at aol.com M42protosun at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 17:13:07 EDT 2008

Good evening list,

In my mind, nobody can  give a true number of meteorite dealers.

Asume that we are talking only  about professionals. Are they all meteorite
dealers? I think no! You can sell a  meteorite only, if you have the sureness
that the piece is a meteorite.  Otherwise you are a mineral seller (dealer).

And that is the  problem!

There is no gapless tracking information about the most (small)  items.

1. If a piece of rock contains chondrules it must  not be a  meteorite
because some complex sediments or some porphyric contain  chondrule-like
pebbels

2. igneous rock may have a fusion crust different  in color of its interieur,

3. Haematite-Magnetite clusters can show on a  polished cut a hexagonale
texture like Widmanstaetten

4. Regmaglypte-like  buckles can be on a piece of metal of a nade from WWII
time

5. to be the  member of IMCA or other parties gives not the certitude for the
buyer, that he  will buy a meteorite.

Normally, if the gapless tracking is interrupted, a  new certificate must be
produced to start a new gapless tracking for the item.  But this is not given
in the market.

So, if you have found a number of  meteorite dealers, devide this by the
number of fingers you have. The result may  be an estimated value with a certain
trueth.

After beginning collecting  meteorites, I bought a lot of rebbish stuff for
expensive money. Now I have my  own small LAB for physical, chemical and
petrological researches. This gives me  some sureness that the seller from whom I
buy might be a true  METEORITE DEALER.

Uwe