[meteorite-list] Polarizers way cheap! Big ones!

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 19:18:10 EST 2008

Hi list,  All my images involve polarizers  in one way or an other and over
the last couple years I have had many inquiries  of where to get polarizers
cheap.   I haven't had a solution other  than scrounge them at yard sales etc.

I just found an eBay seller that  has 82mm PL for $8.50.  This is way cheap
for these big ones.  I  bought a couple and they are quality made in Japan with
total extinction.   The eBay # is  170282710765  Normal retail on a polarizer
this size is  usually several times this price.  They are linier polarizers
and not  circular polarizers which is perfect for meteorite Xpol  application.

Check out my Micro Vision article in the Jan 2007 Meteorite  Times Cross
titled Polarized Light Hand Sample Examination.  The link is
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/Micro_Visions.htm   This  will give you an idea of what
polarizers can do in meteorite examination and you  don't necessarily need a
microscope.

With two 82mm filters you could make  a thin section viewing set.  These are
big enough for a standard microscope  slide to fit inside the filter holder.

I'm not selling any thing, I just  thought some of you might like to know.

Also, while you are at Meteorite  Times, check out this months MV on NWA 3151
Brachinite.  It has three  killer shots from Bernd Pauli in wide field cross
polarized light.

Tom  Phillips